GATE Architecture Syllabus |Paper Pattern
Gate Architecture syllabus consist of following Topics:Syllabus for Architecture and Planning (AR)
- City planning: Evolution of cities; principles of city planning.
- Housing:Concept of housing; neighbourhood concept; site planning principles; housing typology.
- Landscape Design: Principles of landscape design and site planning; history of landscape styles; landscape elements and materials; plant characteristics & planting design; environmental considerations in landscape planning.
- Computer Aided Design:Application of computers in architecture and planning, programming languages – C and Visual Basic and usage of packages such as AutoCAD, 3D-Studio, 3D Max.
- Environmental Studies in Building Science: Components of Ecosystem; ecological principles concerning environment; climate responsive design; energy efficient building design
- Visual and Urban Design: Principles of visual composition; proportion, scale, rhythm, symmetry, harmony, datum, balance, form, colour, texture; sense of place and space.
- History of Architecture:Indian – Indus valley, Vedic, Buddhist, Indo-Aryan, Dravidian and Mughal periods; European – Egyptian, Greek, Roman, medieval and renaissance periods construction and architectural styles.
- Development of Contemporary Architecture: Architectural developments and impacts on society since industrial revolution; influence of modern art on architecture.
- Building Services:Water supply, sewerage and drainage systems; sanitary fittings and fixtures;plumbing systems, principles of internal & external drainage systems, principles of electrification of buildings, intelligent buildings; elevators & escalators.
- Building Construction and Management: Building construction techniques, methods and details; building systems and prefabrication of building elements project management techniques e.g., PERT, CPM etc.
- Materials and Structural Systems: Behavioural characteristics of all types of building materials e.g. mud, timber, bamboo, brick, concrete, steel, glass, FRP.
- Planning Theory: Regional planning; settlement system planning; history of human settlements; growth of cities & metropolises; principles of Ekistics; rural-urban migration.
- Techniques of Planning: Planning survey techniques; preparation of urban and regional structure plans, development plans, action plans.
- Traffic and Transportation Planning: Principles of traffic engineering and transportation planning; traffic survey methods; design of roads, intersections, grade separators and parking areas.
- Infrastructure, Services and Amenities: Principles of water supply and sanitation systems; water treatment; solid waste disposal systems; waste treatment, recycle & reuse.
- Development Administration and Management: Planning laws; development control and zoning regulations; laws relating to land acquisition; development enforcements.
As per GATE Paper Pattern, GATE Examination consist of two section. One is General Aptitude Test which is common to all branches of Engineering and the other section is related to the specific branch of engineering selected.
General Aptitude Test i.e. the first section in compulsory for all the aspirants of GATE Examination.
Weightage of Marks
|Paper Sections||Marks Distribution|
|Subject Question||85% of the total marks|
|General Aptitude Test||15% of the total Marks|
GATE Architecture Syllabus & Paper Patters.
- General Aptitude Test Syllabus (Common to all Paper)-Click here
- Gate Architecture syllabus & Planning- Click here